Social media and networking is HUGE at thisthis mega-conference, and in preparation, a bunch of new networks and apps have launched, along with a couple big updates to existing networks. SXSW is really the time that can make or break a new social network or game, and it’s interesting to see what people are trotting out and using. A bunch of these will die quick and swift deaths, but a few of them may pick up the critical mass they need to succeed.
This year, I’m going to be testing out these networks, and inevitably a bunch of others. Find my personal links to these networks over in the sidebar!
- Foursquare – Foursquare gives you & your friends new ways to explore your city.
Earn points & unlock badges for discovering new things. (me)
- Facebook – Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life. (me)
- Hashable – Hashable is the ultimate networking app. Exchange business cards, make easy intros and ‘check-in’ with people to track meetings and calls. (me)
- Instagram – Snap a photo with your iPhone, choose a filter to transform the look and feel, send to Facebook, Twitter or Flickr – it’s all as easy as pie. It’s photo sharing, reinvented. (me)
- PicPlz – picplz offers a simple way to take photos and upload them in just a few clicks. It’s easy to add a caption, tag your location and check in. Connect and share with your Twitter, Facebook and more. (me)
- Twitter – Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting. Simply find the public streams you find most compelling and follow the conversations. (me)
- GroupMe – Start groups with the people already in your contacts. When you send a message, everyone instantly receives it—it’s like a private chat room that works on any phone.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with more than 90 million members in over 200 countries and territories. (me)
- SXSW Social – SXsocial, the official registrant directory tool for SXSW 2011, just released new networking features for the 2011 event. Registrants will now be able to see which of their Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn friends are also attending SXSW 2011. Find your friends and let them find you.